Sylvanmount is located within the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Rathmichael, and in Dublin half barony of Rathdown. The area occupies the eastern slope of the Carrickgollgon Mountain. The site of Sylvanmount commands an extensive and beautiful prospect along the coast from Dalkey Island to Bray Head and is situated towards the northern end of Ballybride Road adjoining ‘’Chantilly’’ to the north, opposite ‘’Shankill Lodge’’ to the west and ‘’Springfield’’ to the south.
The approach to the house, along Ballybride Road from the south, gives an explanation to the name Sylvanmount. The setting is evidently sylvan in character whilst the mount refers to the mount or slope on which the house is situated.
We know that Sylvanmount House and Coach House existed prior to 1838, as they show up in an OSI historical map of 1838, which was published in 1840. What is clear is that these structures display distinctly Georgian influence in the proportion of the windows and the smaller scale windows at first floor level. The decorative porch and the decorative soffit treatment, the bay windows and the decorative timber work indicate a late Georgian or early Victorian influence in contrast to the austere influence of the early Georgian period.
It is clear that the houses at Sylvanmount are spacious, stylish and perfectly finished inside and out. What is not immediately discernible is the superior fabric of each house where Durkan’s have incorporated a number of passive house features together with controlled energy saving mechanisms that greatly improve comfort and efficiency while helping to significantly reduce running costs.
These are “A” Rated Premium Family Homes that are perfectly arranged and finished inside and out to offer an exemplary home for every stage of family life. These houses provide a blend of contemporary living with a deep appreciation for traditional aesthetics, quality craftsmanship and contemporary technologies.
Tucked away within this small enclave “The Orchard” takes centre stage on a magnificent site which extends to approximately .25 acres. Set behind electronic gates to a large gravel forecourt the immediate sense of arrival is upon you. The residence is a property of distinction, taking centre stage within this small cul de sac. Everything about this home exudes quality and wonderful craftsmanship, from the bespoke handmade solid stained oak staircase, bespoke Newcastle designed kitchen, utility room and boot room, stunning wine cellar with feature brick wall and under floor heating to name but a few.
The spacious and well –proportioned accommodation extends to approx. 383m2 / 4123 sq ft and combines the perfect balance for day to day family living yet perfect for those with a penchant for entertaining! Upon entering this home, into the large bright hallway with double height ceiling allowing it be flooded with natural light, one is struck with what can only be described as that “Wow” feeling. The stone tiled hallway gives access to 3 magnificent reception rooms which boast picture windows to the front and rear, beautiful solid oak and stone flooring throughout and air tight solid fuel burners. The bespoke Newcastle designed kitchen gives access into the utility room, pantry, wine cellar and boot room which is a sight to behold with all integrated appliances included. There is also a large guest cloakroom, guest wc, and under stairs storage. Upstairs there are 5 family sized bedrooms with fitted “Cawley” wardrobes throughout, 2 fully fitted en suite shower rooms, bathroom and walk in dressing room. This home is perfect for growing families who are looking for a substantial home coupled with private landscaped gardens in a wonderful part of Dublin.
The property sits on gardens that extend to 0.25 acres and to the front there are electric gates which lead onto a gravel forecourt which is bordered with fencing and shrubs, pedestrian access leads to a magnificent beige granite patio with steps leading on to a lawned garden.
These beautiful houses have been built by Brian M Durkan & Co. who have been delivering quality housing since 1993. Brian M Durkan have earned a reputation for exceptional attention to detail and a dedication to their craft as Master Builders. Recently completed developments include Fey Yerra Wood, Foxrock and Wingfield, Bray.
Painted smooth nap plaster finish with feature plaster bands to all walls. Re-constituted granite stone to sills to all elevations.
All Windows and Doors are “A” rated triple glazed hardwood timber high performance windows with low u-value (1.2W/m2K) for energy efficiency. Large glazed patio doors are located to the rear.
Fascia, Soffit & Rainwater Goods
The fascia and soffit is painted ‘Durawood’ timber cladding. Powder coated aluminium rainwater gutters and downpipes.
Gallegas Premier Spanish Natural Slate.
A generous allowance of energy efficient remote controlled Velux roof lights are provided to maximise the natural daylight.
Kitchen / Utility / Pantry / Wine Cellar/ Boot Room
Newcastle Design have custom designed and fitted these rooms to the highest possible specification to include the following features:
• Handmade feature island
• 30mm thick stone work surfaces throughout
• Oak cabinet interior & dovetail soft close drawers
• Solid mahogany extra thick soft close cabinet doors
• Custom made cabinetry, doors and panel work
• On-site hand painted finish throughout
• Extra high cabinetry
• Antique mirror
• Handmade double pantry larder
• Under cabinet lighting
• Glass cabinet lighting
• Hand painted timber paneling
• Handmade wine cellar
Bathrooms & En Suites
The Bathrooms and En Suites have been completed with high quality sanitary ware throughout supplied by Waterloo Bathrooms, complete with chrome and glass shower doors and heated chrome towel rails.
Mirrors will have an integrated demister in the bathrooms. High quality tiling is provided to all wet areas with feature recessed tiled areas. A booster pump provides high pressure water to the bath and showers.
The fitted wardrobes are exclusively designed to a contemporary style by Cawleys Furniture.
The Living and Family rooms come complete with a feature stone fireplace with a granite hearth and “A” Rated solid fuel sealed Stove.
All houses come with high quality contemporary painted finish doors throughout complete with chrome ironmongery. Selected doors incorporate feature glazing. Feature “pocket doors” divide the Family and Dining Rooms.
• High quality paint finish to walls and ceilings throughout.
• Hardwood treads and painted risers to staircase.
• Generous high specification wall and floor tiling to all wet areas.
• Double height skirting.
• Very high ceilings throughout.
• Painted timber paneling to selected areas.
The attic is fitted with an attic stairs and “A” rated sealed hatch and selected area floored for storage space, complete with lighting.
A Dimplex Air to Water heat pump is the primary heat source for each house. The heat generated is be used to warm the underfloor heating throughout and provide hot water. The benefits of the heat pumps are as follows:
• Reduced energy cost and bills
• Reduced CO2 emissions.
• Powerful performance with low noise
• Low maintenance
• Safe & reliable - proven technology
• Compact unit.
The living room is equipped with a high efficiency solid fuel Stove ideal for the long winter nights.
Ventilation is provided by the use of a Heat Recovery Ventilation. The system is professionally designed by Delap and Waller Consulting Engineers. It continuously supplies fresh air & extracts stale air. The system is designed to
• Continuously ventilate all the rooms in your house in a controlled manner to give a healthy environment.
• Remove moisture & odours thereby preventing condensation build-up, mould growth etc.
• Provide a draught free environment with the required amount of filtered fresh air for the occupants.
• Minimise the energy losses by recovering the heat from the extracted stale air & transferring up to 90% of this heat to the incoming fresh air.
The electrical layout has generous allocation of light and power points located throughout the house. Switches, sockets and Cat5e data wiring throughout.
Media & Communications
A generous number of TV data and power points are provided throughout, with all points wired back to a central hub.
Wired for an intruder alarm and CCTV. Electronic gates, which can be opened by videocom providing added security.
A 10 Year Homebond guarantee is provided.
Low Energy Design
All houses have been designed by Duignan Dooley Architects with energy efficiency as a priority. The house has been designed to achieve an A3 energy rating ensuring that the end user will have minimum heating and running costs. The A3 rating is achieved through the use of the following features
• Excellent standard of wall, roof and floor insulation.
• Certified ‘A rated’ triple glazed windows with argon filled glazing.
• Heat Recovery Ventilation system will save you money and reduce your energy requirements for heating by re-using the heat that is normally lost via standard extract systems. A Heat Recovery Ventilation system is designed to operate continuously at a low rate to minimise electrical energy consumption. The heat recovered is up to twenty times the energy used to run the fans.
• Considerable attention has been given to the Air-tightness of the houses. The house has had an individual air tightness test and certificate undertaken (instead of a default value which can be given to housing developments after sample houses are tested). This gives confidence to each homeowner that the house is built to the highest standard and quality ensuring the minimum of heat losses through the envelope of the building.
The Dimplex air to water heat pump ensures the heat that is required is produced efficiently and with reduced C02 emissions. The Stove allows the occupier to use a renewable energy as a heat source for the living room.