€7,500,000 - Asking Price|6 Bedrooms, 771 sqm approx
Monte Alverno, which is tucked discreetly away just off Sorrento Road, is quite possibly one of Dalkey’s best-kept secrets. Enclosed by wonderful mature gardens extending to 1.2 acres, the property enjoys the luxury of seclusion while being situated in one of Dublin's finest coastal locations. Designed with flair and imagination c.1835, Monte Alverno was renovated and restored in 1895 by prominent Dalkey resident Alexander Conan and brought into the 21st Century by its present owner. Steeped in history, (Lord Edward Carson resided here while a student in Trinity College,) this magnificent castellated Victorian residence is built with extensive use of local Dalkey granite and incorporates numerous unique features, making it an exceptionally fine home of outstanding architectural and historic merit.
Passing through the imposing electronic gates to enter the property from Sorrento Rd, you’ll find a private driveway shared by three other properties. Another set of exclusively owned double gates then leads from there into Monte Alverno proper. Here you will find yourself in a generous courtyard of cut granite, which provides ample parking and access to the large carport. The house itself, which is superbly positioned, enjoys a spectacular elevated south facing site extending to 1.2 acres (approx). Maritime views from here are unparalleled and considerably enchant the appeal of this fine home. Add to this the tremendous privacy, its well-serviced position beside Dalkey Town and the result is one of the finest locations in Ireland. Quality and attention to detail throughout the house is of the highest standard and is maintained flawlessly in all aspects of its design.
The impressive entrance hall, with its double height domed ceiling over the magnificent stairwell, sets the tone of what is to follow. The wonderfully elegant double drawingroom, dayroom and feature study, with its hand crafted oak wall panelling all enjoy a sunny south facing orientation and outlook over the formal garden and Killiney Bay. The dining room, situated to the side of the property, has a view into the impressive conservatory with its feature natural granite outcrop complete with waterfall that flows into the large fishpond. Informal dining is also well catered for in the breakfast room, which is situated off a very homely and well-equipped Miele kitchen. A good size laundry/utility room, guest cloakroom and staff/children’s cloakroom are also found here.